Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rudra the Thief

Rudra the thief, being close to starvation, saw in the distance a monk under a tree holding a begging bowl, and thought, “There is surely food in that begging bowl. I will kill the monk and take it.” The monk read the thief’s mind and thought, “If I do not give him food, he will surely kill me. If that happens he will have committed a most serious crime.” He therefore immediately gave him the food and the monk taught the Dharma, and Rudra attained Enlightenment.
-Purnamukhavadana-satika

No comments:

Post a Comment