Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Floating nirvana

Mahanama asked, "At times I am apt to forget any thoughts of the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha. If I must die at a time like this, where shall I be born?"

The Buddha replied, "Mahanama, there is nothing to fear. If you have cultivated your everyday mind through the precepts, listening, selfless giving, and wisdom, no matter when or where your body dies, your mind will go to an excellent place.

A jar filled with milk and oil breaks in a pool of water, the shards will sink to the bottom, but the milk and oil will float to the top... Those who cherish an indestructible faith in the Three Treasures and obey the precepts will without fail enter Nirvana.

-Samyutta-nikaya 55, 21-2 Mahanama

No comments:

Post a Comment