Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lessons Learned

1. BE YOURSELF. Everything in the Universe has a purpose. God does not create mistakes. When you avoid, deny, or fear your special purpose, there is disharmony. When you embrace your unique talent and share it with others, there is harmony.

2. BE INCONSPICUOUS. Conflict seeks conflict. Being 'top dog' attracts competitors. The meek and humble survive. Do your thing but don't flaunt it. Be successful but don't seek fame. Blend in. Be like water and flow around obstacles.

3. BE SELFLESS. We exist in order to help others. All life depends on life, just as the flower depends on the earth, rain, sun, and bees. The Ego only wants happiness for my imagined 'self.' My True Nature wants happiness for myself and all beings. Don't grasp. Let go. Let be.

4. BE POSITIVE. I create my own reality, every moment. Negativity only attracts more negativity. The Past (memories) and Future (expectations) are also creations of the mind. Set aside negative thoughts. Trust karma, that everything will turn out all right. Believe in a positive, nurturing, compassionate Universe. It's okay to suffer a little, struggling is how we evolve. Enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment