Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Anger

We think: "I want to make you suffer,
   because you have made me suffer.
   If I see you suffer, I will feel better."
Take care of your anger and let it end there.
                                                                                        -Thich Nhat Hanh

Anger is not caused by another.
The seed of anger is in me.
I can water the seeds of anger,
Or water the seeds of compassion.
They are my seeds and my water.

When people don't take care of their suffering
It spills out and causes others to suffer.
They don't need punishment, they need compassion.
When you understand the suffering of another,
You can transform your desire to punish
Into a desire to help.

Understanding transforms anger into compassion.
A person who harms me is suffering and angry,
That makes me angry.
But my suffering and anger are no different
from his.


"Anger is diminished when one realizes that
One is a foolish being,
   as the other might also be,
Both within boundless compassion."
                                                                                     -Taitetsu Unno

No comments:

Post a Comment