Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Fully Entrusting

If salvation by Amida Buddha is ensured,
Why follow the precepts?
Why meditate?
Why study the Dharma?
Why be concerned with suffering?

Because shinjin (deep trusting) comes from Amida,
But resides in my Mind.
It is unnecessary to convince Amida
My shinjin is True,
But it is necessary to convince myself.

I follow the precepts to exhaust self-power.
I meditate to exhaust self-power.
I study to exhaust self-power.
I suffer to exhaust self-power.

Having exhausted self-power,
I realize there is no other way for a foolish, defiled man
To experience nirvana
But to be born in the Pure Land
By the Power of Amida's Vow.

Fully entrusting Amida
Shedding the skin of self-power
Naked, my True Self is born
My Buddha Nature
Who's affinity for Amida is natural (jinen)

This boy is not my body, it is Amida's.
This mind is not my mind, it is Amida's.
This shinjin is not my shinjin, it is Amida's.

No comments:

Post a Comment