Christopher Brainerd blogs about his journey into Buddhism

This is a collection of Christopher Brainerd's ramblings written as a novice student of Buddhism.
My primary practice is Jodo Shinshu, yet I ramble on many spiritual topics.
Some of what follows is original, some are quotes or summations for which I provide the source.
Gassho!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Heart like a river

kshanti paramita (inclusiveness)
Paraphrased from "The Heart of Buddha's Teaching" by Thich Nhat Hanh

A handful of salt makes a small bowl of water undrinkable. But pour the same amount of salt into a river, and the water is still drinkable. Due to its size, the river can receive and transform. If your heart is too small, one unjust word or act will have the power to make you suffer. But if your heart is large, if you have understanding and compassion, you can receive and transform suffering.

2 comments:

  1. hello!,I like your writing very a lot! share we be in contact extra about
    your article on AOL? I require an expert on this area to
    resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Looking ahead to see
    you.

    My homepage :: Cheap Seroquel No Doctors Prescription

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have added contact information to my profile.

    ReplyDelete